Re: [tlug] Kubuntu v5.10

On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 12:08:07PM +0900, Lyle H Saxon wrote :
> In the install, it prompts you for a user name and a password - and
> that's it!  No root!  So I assume it's got the user running as root
> all the time!  Yikes!  Easier for users to use and easier for
> outsiders to abuse!  I'm sure there's a way to fix that - is it
> involved or fairly straightforward?

No, your user is not root and under normal conditions has the power of
a normal user. When you need the root account you just need to type for
example "sudo apt-get install apache2" to do administration things, and
you will bi asked for your password.

As to whether it is less secure, I don't think so. You just have one
less password. A lambda user would have set the root password to the
same password anyway, so it would change nothing. As for security-aware
people, you can come back to the standard user / root account method
anytime ^^

Evan