Re: [tlug] Free Linux for Desktop Newbies ?

Jonathan Q wrote:

>>Ubuntu should do it
>>

>I'll throw my endorsement of Ubuntu in here (or Kubuntu, if you prefer

[snip]

    I'd also like to toss in another vote for Ubuntu.  My test box was a
Vile errr Vaio laptop that
I lost the XP drivers disk too and couldn't adjust the LCD contrast at
all without some proprietary
driver (that was only on that disk) that wasn't there.  In frustration,
I put Linux on it and decided
to test drive Ubuntu.  It was relatively trivial to get the SonyPI
driver running on it and I had
a nice desktop up and running on install.  And the hibernate worked
right out of the box
without having to twiddle this or that.
    The GUI desktop was able to configure most of the setting I was
really concerned with
which I also consider a plus.

Alain