Re: [tlug] timing for geeks II.

Josh Glover wrote:

>On 19/12/05, Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:
>

>>If you really need small "TDBSR", then you need a real-time
>>operating system. Linux is a general purpose operating system,
>>but is not a real-time operating system, although there is much
>>work on improving Linux's real-time performance, even if it isn't
>>an actual real-time operating system. There are also genuine
>>(hard) real-time operating systems that can run Linux.
>>

>Linux has a real-time scheduler, but I have not used it. Has anyone? I
>would be curious to see how well it works for real-time systems.
>
>Solaris is a real-time OS, FYI.
>
>Cheers,
>Josh

Maybe I should have been following this thread more closely.  Please
define "real time."  The standard Linux kernel as I understand it has
massive improvements in the scheduler to lower latency in task switching
but it wouldn't qualify as "hard real time."  There are several
alternative ports of Linux that claim to be realtime however.
Montavist is one http://linuxdevices.com/products/PD4597092608.html also
I think there is a company called "Blue Cat" but this whole area gets
rather complicated.

Montevistia I believe has published their version of the kernel and was
seeking developers at one time.  I don't know about the rest.  This was
fun stuff, then the company decided to go with Wind River, but use Green
Hills compilers and debugging tools (admittedly better than Wind
River's.)  Go figure...

Steve S.