Re: [tlug] Munging Email Addresses

On 18/12/05, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

>     Josh> Nor is it intended to be.
>
> I didn't mean it was, but it is not obvious to me that there is a
> consensus that exposing identities to Google is something we want to
> do.  Sure, Brett was most explicit about that, but did say he could
> live with it, but the same theme has come up in other posts.  Which
> weren't so clear that they were willing to go with the flow.

It seems to me that most people are for the opening of the archives.
It might have to come down to a vote, however, since otherwise we are
just guessing.

The obscuring of email addresses seems to be a separate but related issue.

> Please do not underestimate the skills of spammers and scammers.

I don't, but most people seem to think that OCR is a deterrent worth
implementing.

> I don't care, personally, I can take care of myself.

As can I (or rather, Gmail's spam filters can take care of me ;). But
more than a few people want the address munging, and as Listmaster, I
have to consider their opinions.

Cheers,
Josh