Re: [tlug] Ota

On 15/12/05, Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:

> Josh wrote:
>
> > Ota
>
> Where can I find more something more than an iota for my quota
> of information on Ota?
>
> Google is leading me astray:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Ota seems closest.

No, that's not the guy, though this Ota will get a kick out of the
fact that Google associates this cool Ota with him. :)

Had you but Googled for "Robert Ota Dieterich", however, you would
have gotten somewhere:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22robert+ota+dieterich%22&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial

And how would you have known to do that? Simple, if I had but told you
his full name, you would have known. ;)

Sorry about that. "Ota" is my roommate from uni, a fellow Computer
Science concentrator who studied the beautiful but deadly Japanese
language--hence he has been "Ota" to me since day one (太田 is his
mother's maiden name, his middle name, and hence his "Japanese name"
for Japanese class; mine, in case you are wondering, is far more
prosaic: グラバー, which is just "Gurabaa"--my last name, Glover,
transliterated into the Japanese sound system--written in
katakana[1]).

He currently lives and works in Tokyo, and has attended a TLUG
technical meeting (and the after-party), which is why I assumed that
TLUGgers might recognise his name. Of course, TLUGgers stuck in
Columbus, Ohio, are at somewhat of a disadvantage (that's right, Steve
and Jim T--if you've read this far--the invasion of TLUG by Ohioans
continues! ;).

Cheers,
Josh

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katakana