Re: [tlug] GAGAIDS project, anyone?

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 22:51:22 +0900
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> Today, all I wanted was to get the librsvg library and headers from
> DarwinPorts, and it pulled in 2 dozen basically irrelevant GNOME
> packages including metacity (which is one of six that failed to
> build).

$ apt-cache show librsvg2-2
[..]
Depends: libart-2.0-2 (>= 2.3.16), libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-21), libcroco3 (>= 0.6.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.6.0), libgsf-1 (>= 1.12.1), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.6.0), libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.8.1), libxml2 (>= 2.6.16), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1), librsvg2-common (= 2.9.5-4)

I don't see metacity or anything irrelevant here. I never compiled stuff
for osx, (using fink?). I guess somebody fucked up the package dependency
for _that particular build system_, so I see no reason to blame the GNOME
people in general.

> The most briefly explicable and embarrassing reason for
> failing is that gnome-vfs croaked because libgdkmime (or something
> like that) has its own set of fixedwidth int types.  Ie, not the ones
> from "glib.h" and not the ones from <inttypes.h>.  Nevertheless, some
> lazy twit decided to use uint32ptr_t without including <inttypes.h>.
This is another issue and it's a valid complaint. Since gnome does
compile on many unix variants, probably the developer will be yelled at.
Anyway, again the package/dependency manager should be in charge of
specifying which particular version to pull for a build. Source that
doesn't build shouldn't be there. If you're building manually, that's
different matter. Since you have written cross-platfom software you
already know that its not trivial to get everything written properly
so that it would work for the first time on every single unix version.