Re: [tlug] Network with Windows and Linux

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 08:38:20PM -0800, Gerald Naughton wrote:

> Thank Scott and Steven
>
> Wondering below
> > <naughton123@example.com> writes:
> >
> >     Gerald> Wondering how you how stanadardize
> > between
> >     Gerald> Windows/Solaris/Linux
> >

> how to sync passwords between Samba Server/User
> A/Cs/Mail Server
> /Web Server etc
>

> Maybe the only way is LDAP with Samba
>
> My ultimate goal is get rid of my Windows 2000 Domain
> Server ;->

While you're using it (although we're still on NT4.0 at work) we use the
NT Servers as the password servers in smb.conf.  How is the mail server
getting passwords?  From NIS?

Our mail server is an NIS client, and the user's MS mail clients use the
AIX password.

We kept meaning to look into LDAP, but there were always fires to put
out, then the most technically adept of the bosses was let go.

The question is, where do the web server and mail servers get their
passwords, and what are they running?

We had thought that LDAP would be the way we would go in the end.

If you set it up, try to write a nice howto.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Angelus: No weapons... no friends... no hope. Take all
that away and what's left?
Buffy: Me.