Re: [tlug] Network with Windows and Linux

    Gerald> Wondering how you how stanadardize between
    Gerald> Windows/Solaris/Linux

My gakurui (gakubu in a normal daigaku) runs Samba on Solaris with
Windows workstations for the students.  We used to dual-boot.  Linux
worked fine, but the students f**ked up the Windows workstations on a
regular basis so the tech staff had no time to deal with Linux, and
they ditched it.

AFAIK there have been no problems with this for years (except for
people on the same subnet with one of the labs, whose bandwidth used
to go to zero once or twice a week for Microsoft's regular closing-of-
the-barn-door-after-the-horse-is-stolen exercise, which evidently
involves multicasting a multigigabyte disk image to all the
workstations).

As I say, it's been years and I don't use the SMB facilities, but the
transition was done over a period of a year, first the fileservers
were converted to Samba-on-Solaris over a summer vacation, then
printers and other services were added in parallel with the
traditional utilities for print submission, etc, finally utilities
were phased out.