Re: [tlug] Network with Windows and Linux

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 04:13:37PM -0800, Gerald Naughton wrote:
> Hi All
> Wondering how you how stanadardize between
> Windows/Solaris/Linux
> env
> i.e.
>   home directories
>   same passwords for all dir

I was doing fine till you said  home directories.  :)

Here is what we have.

An AIX box, the NIS server.  A separate box running samba.

Windows users who authenticate email via NIS and get it from a BSD box
which is an NIS client.

The samba servers, on other BSD boxes (Free, but I don't think it makes
a difference, in a pinch wihle moving servers, I used Net on a laptop
and Arch Linux on something else) are not NIS clients.   They
authenticate through server or domain, that is, when the user logs onto
the MS network, they can then, if permissions on both Samba and MS allow
it, access the samba shares.

We also have some Macs that go into samba shares (and get email) the
same way.

One problem would be with the NIS client.  ~IF~ I wanted to add a user
form the NIS domain, I would run into trouble because the AIX default
shell is /usr/bin/ksh which isn't on the BSD NIS client.

One workaround, for IMAP was, as root on the BSD box, (the client)
simply create the user's IMAP directories and assign the permissions.

Another thing I did while playing, was to symlink /bin/sh to
/usr/bin/ksh on the BSD box to see if that would allow a login.  (I
don't remember hte results now, I think it worked.)

In many ways it will depend upon how many different O/S's you are using
and in what setup.  Ours is an NT domain (and only a few users
understand that there are two different domains in play here--the NT
domain and the AIX domain) with a mission critical application runing on
an AIX mainframe which the users reach by using a terminal emulator in
Windows.

However, this app also displays images which are stored on samba
servers--they reach those servers with NT authentication.

So, it can all work, but it depends upon what authentication for what
system is being used for what application.

Are they logging onto a Windows domain, which will supply
authentication?  In that case, samba might serve all your needs.

I suspect I'm only confusing you further, so I'll shut up now.

It's what happens when different technologies are added, bit by bit,
after the original setup.

Oh the NFS shares, forgot that part.  Well, ok, that's nice and
straightforward (snicker.)

The BSD box mounts an NFS share from the AIX box and the Windows boxes
mount it from the BSD box as a samba share.  And that, boys and girls is
how we have the Windows boxen accessing the AIX server.

So, first mount it on the BSD box.  Add the share in smb.conf, then the
Windows box can mount the share--but not directly from AIX, they get it
off the BSD box.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Riley: I thought maybe we could have a little spread. Sandwiches,
maybe some ants. Could be fun.
Buffy: We were talking about a picnic?
Riley: Oh... so, was that a conversation I actually had or one I
was just practicing?