[tlug] Celeron D versus Pentium 4

TLUG,
	Looking at used computers in Akihabara yesterday, it seems that the
computers that are within my price range and performance expectations
have CPUs that are either Pentium 4 or Celeron D.
	I was under the impression that the Pentium series was Intel's flagship
line, and the Celeron series was Intel's budget line. I also assumed
this meant that a Pentium 4 of, say, 2Ghz would perform better than a
Celeron D of 2Ghz.
	However, I cam home and looked around the net, and the articles I see
indicate that the Pentium D is actually the successor to the Pentium 4.
	That kind of surprised me not only because it went against my previous
understanding, but also because the price differences between the
computers I was looking at indicated the Pentium 4s were more expensive.
Although I have to point out that it's not clearly so because each
computer had enough hardware differences to make it tough to isolate out
purely the CPUs impact on price.

	So, I'm hoping that those who understand hardware better than me can
break it down to an answer to this simple question for me:
	Am I, a home user of Linux with average home user needs, better off
with a Celeron D or a Pentium 4?

	Any advice would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G