Re: [tlug] ADMIN: Second Warning (was: Japanese Encoding - which one?)

Josh Glover wrote:

[JG] I believe I asked once that this thread be returned to technical
topics only. Flaming is definitely  not that.

I have been asked to illuminate this comment farther by explaining
just where I think this thread got off into unfriendly ground. Here is
my attempt.

The thread started with one guy asking for help with his webpages: it
appeared that Japanese encoding issues were preventing Google AdSence
from detecting Japanese appropriately. Several people responded, and
the outcome of this was that the OP became excited (and rightly so)
about UTF-8, and said that he had just switched his MUA over to UTF-8.

So far, so good.

Then someone else replies that (and I quote) "[u]sing UTF for for
Japanese email breaches RFCs, you are supposed to use 2022-JP".
Several people act surprised and ask, "which RFC, where?" At which
point there is some clarification, but also some defensiveness.
Well - what got that going was when I sent an e-mail that I encoded in UTF-8 and someone (might as well skip all names) noticed that it didn't display correctly on their work computer that is set up to correspond with the locals that they communicate with via e-mail. I must say that, first off, the technical issue that became contentious I don't understand, so I can't even comment on that, *but*, the information that a lot of the computers on these islands will pull in ISO-2022-JP text, but not UTF-8 is of immense value to me! I have been writing to my Japanese friends in English because I had come to realize (without knowing why) that half the time they were getting garbled text when I tried to send them anything in Japanese. My concern first and foremost was the website, but this secondary information was *very* welcome. In fact, I just tested it again by sending two (Japanese content) messages to a friend's cell phone, one in UTF-8 and one in ISO-2022-JP. Unfortunately only the ISO-2022-JP one was intelligible. The UTF-8 one was a mixture of wrong kanji and symbols.

So - I'm sorry for being indirectly responsible for a contentious issue arising. Again, the technical reasons for the discussion are mostly flying far over my head, but practically speaking, *both* the conversion to UTF-8 for web pages and to ISO-2022-JP for Japanese-only messages to my Japanese friends is of immense value to me (and maybe others as well). While I was only trying to solve a web page issue, my Japanese e-mail problem (an issue that was losing me friends through my inability to send them Japanese e-mail!) has also been solved.

All the information was of great interest. I hope there is no lasting damage from my having branched the issue into practical text stuffing - an issue that should not have been piggybacked onto a technical issue regarding web page construction. If I had started a new thread regarding sending Japanese e-mail to whoever using whatever software in this country, there probably wouldn't have been any problem in the first place.

In closing, I say both thank you and sorry. This should have been two separate issues.

Lyle