Re: [tlug] Japanese Encoding - which one?

Edward Middleton wrote:

[LHS] I'm having trouble creating Japanese pages for my site - while I can post them in Japanese and they display in Japanese, when looking at the Page Source, it shows only computer code and no recognizable language. .......... the link I'm putting here for an example:
http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/i_i_v/jpage/f1/TokyoMtrShwJ01.html

se a japanese character encoding.  Your pages are in
ISO-8859-1 encoded as can be seen from the source

ISO-8859-1 does not support japanese characters so the characters are
encoded with "numeric character references" see

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/charset.html#entities
Thanks - I'll do what is necessary to remedy that.

- but they were created with a bloody MicroMuck box with Netscape 4.0. I need to put together Japanese pages with Linux. How can I get Japanese text on the page that will be recognizable to the Internet as Japanese and not computer code garbage?

hat makes you think that encoded japanese characters are
not "recognizable to the Internet"?

Google AdSense... it's picking up that the other pages are Japanese and displaying Japanese, but for that page (and the Concert Halls page before I redid it) it doesn't seem to be seeing any Japanese and so it is putting English on the page....

Lyle