Re: [tlug] kterm equivalents

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:
>>     Michael>   http://mlterm.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> Is the source to this any better than it used to be?  When I last
>> looked, it was almost as bad as KTerm itself.  (Though not in the same
>> league with XTerm, which is a scary scary beast at least up to
>> X11R6.3.)

Dunno. I haven't looked at the source. I did fiddle with KTerm once
about 10 years ago - I fixed a bug which was causing it to crash in
some circumstances when displaying JIS212 kanji.

Tapio Peltonen <tappel@example.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 11:16:53AM +1100, Jim Breen wrote:
>> > Well, I installed mlterm. It is slightly better than Gnome
>> > terminal in that it doesn't grab (ASCII) spaces abutting Japanese
>> > text, but it does grab parentheses. Clicking on (????) gets the
>> > ( and ) as well as the ????, whereas clicking on (hiragana) just
>> > gets hiragana. Not very helpful, or consistent.
>>
>> Are you sure you wrote (????) and not ??????? Double-clicking
>> on the first one selects only the hiragana, on the second one also the
>> parentheses.

You're right. It only grabs JIS parentheses; not ASCII ones.

>> I would call that quite consistent, if not necessarily
>> clever.

I don't think it is consistent at all. AFAIK the X clicking philosophy
is supposed to get words. Parentheses have never been part of those
words in xterm, etc. and they are not in kterm either. And parentheses
are parentheses. JIS and ASCII ones should be treated the same.

>> My mlterm is version 2.9.2.

Mine too.

The lack of IIIMF capability is the bigger problem.

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Clayton School of Information Technology,               Tel: +61 3 9905 9554