Re: [tlug] how to keep track of one's work... another 'Best Practices' question

    Micheal> The closest thing I have found so far is
    Micheal> http://www.pi-sync.net, which does not contain any of the
    Micheal> journalling functions but does do the email, todo, and
    Micheal> calendar parts.

There's a reason for that ... the journalling and related query parts
are hard to do well.  You don't want to write that part yourself if
you can avoid it.  If you do write it, you might very well find it
worthwhile to use a DB like mysql or PostgreSQL.

    Micheal> Another idea I had was to use a trouble ticket web app to
    Micheal> store the journalling info, but that would still be slow
    Micheal> over the net and non-tabbed.

AFAICS this is exactly what you want.  If you need something that's
asynchronous to just put in a quick memo without waiting for the
database update and display, then you could use one that groks email
at the cost of having to merge tickets later.  (Most will allow you to
specify categories or issues, but you're unlikely to have those on the
top of your head.)  As for tabs, let your browser do the tabs.  Get a
ticketing app that allows you to save queries, and pick up each one as
a specific category in its own tab.

For better response, I regularly run various servers on local machines
(specifically Zope and pydoc).

If you have a primary workstation, then you can run the necessary
servers there and still access it across the web, or if security is
very important use ssh and a text browser or ssh's X tunnel feature.