Re: [tlug] Proxies on Port 443

Josh wrote:

> On 10/27/05, Marc Christensen <marc@example.com> wrote:
> >     # sshd -p 443
>
> This would work provided that his work environment does not force
> HTTP[S] connexions through a proxy.

So for (genuine) https stuff, a browser would have a secure
connection to the proxy and the proxy would have a secure
connection to the intended web site? Yikes! That sounds like a
man in the middle attack.

I heard that some folks will use port 443 because it's not as
likely to be proxied because of the encryption stuff,
but I don't know that to be a fact.
For folks who bother to proxy port 80 traffic,
how many of them also proxy port 443 traffic?

Proxies on port 443 sniffing all the passwords that ones though
were encrypted sounds really scary.

It makes me want to write an ssh tunnel on (DNS) UDP port 53,
but that'd probably be proxied also.