Re: [tlug] PC Card Slot memory suddenly unusable. "invalid block device"

On 2005-08-18 19:52, David Riggs wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions Jim. Nothing in syslog, and somehow the
> system cannot even find my hde. I cannot access my compact flash card,

That is actually an extremely important clue.  It suggests that the
problem is not related to your removing the memory without unmounting,
but is rather a function of your kernel configuration.  :-)

> So, I guess that attempted install of sane last week, which I aborted
> because it was trying to replace the kernal (and aptitude nicely warned
> me), maybe messed up my pcmcia support?

Possibly.

> If I ask aptitude to install the kernel-pcmcia, it says it will
>
> Install these new packages
>
> initrd-tools kernel-image-2.4.27-2-386 kernel-pcmcia-modules-2.4.27-2-386
>
> Do I really want to install a new kernel image? Is this normal, or the
> warning from aptitude when I tried to install sane, that I should not do
> it unless I really know what I am doing, correct.

I've never used aptitude, and won't guess at interpreting its log
format either.

I would be inclined to install the updated kernel and
kernel-pcmcia-modules packages, especially since they are the same
kernel version you've been using, but just an update from your
distribution suggesting some bug fixes.  I suspect your distribution
will install the new kernel version alongside your existing one,
allowing you to select which to boot with your GRUB/LILO boot loader menu.
--
Jim Tittsler  7J1AJH/AI8A                            GPG: 0x01159DB6
Kanto Computer Calendar  http://www.OnJapan.net/calendar/