Re: [tlug-digest] Re: [tlug] JPG & GIF Issue

BURLING, KENNETH M. RPSN (CV63 RELMIN) wrote:

> The subject of compression ratios, and copying files.  The only effect
> it has outside of a graphics viewer is file size.

Right, and having thought about it a few seconds more:

What is a file? It's just a named collection of bytes with a specified
location and size. As users, we normally assume that those bytes
represent some sort of meaningful entity (image, text file, program,
database, whatever), but even that is not required--i.e. you can
generate a bunch of random bytes and save them to a file. It may be
useless, but it's just as much a file as anything else you have on your
hard disk.

Further, when you compress a file, you are simply encoding the same
information in fewer bytes with different values. But there is no way
that the content or the file format or any compression algorithm can
affect the nature of a byte. A byte is a byte is a byte, so as far as
normal file utilities are concerned all that matters is the location and
size of that collection of bytes that we call a file.

Now it's conceivable that someone has created a file manager that would,
by way of saving you from yourself, make decisions about files based on
higher-level characteristics (type of file, apparent brokenness, etc.).
But even if such an abomination exists, I doubt any mainstream Linux
distribution would accept it as a standard tool (and SuSE is certainly
mainstream in my book). So the idea of compression affecting
copiability, even indirectly, remains farfetched.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA