Re: [tlug] Japanese Input on CentOS / KDE

Count me as another vote for keeping this discussion on the list or
failing that, taking me with you!

I've been fumbling around with Japanese IME's at home on Gentoo and at the
office with Debian.  I started on Scott's page and I certainly appreciated
the information that was there.

However I couldn't get anything to work until I had visited many more
pages and basically combined all the advice and essentiall started
getting/emerging every single package mentioned anywhere by anyone.  Now
almost everything works but sadly I can't tell why.  "Just working" is not
good enough because for my project I need to really understand IME.

The closest thing to a breakthrough I've had so far came from installing
UIM and as many of its friends and relations I could find.

Once I had uim I could type uim- {tab} {tab} and see a handful of choices
of commands starting with uim-  including uim-im-switcher-gtk.  This gave
me some very nice menus which finally started to cause the IME scene to
make a little bit of sense.  Not enough sense for me to know what's really
going on but at least I can start to believe there is some method to the
method madness.