Re: [tlug] [tlug-digest] Emacs and utf-8

>> It might be good enough for Stu, but he's not a Debian user, so the
>> .deb isn't an option.
>
> It would be good enough for me, since I don't do anything heavy duty in
> Japanese -- just maintaining some web pages and writing to in-laws.
> There is a Gentoo ebuild, so I'll try it out. Thanks for the tip, David.

I thought I should post this as I'm a somewhat more disinterested user
than Steve.

If you're happy to use either emacs variant, I would definitely commend
the XEmacs UTF support (assuming it is in fact as good under Unix as it is
under Cygwin, and tbh I'd expect it to be better).  This isn't a
comparison - I've not used FSFemacs in anger - but xemacs has been trouble
free since finding the correct version to use.

Not that I'm an especially enthusiatic UTF user, cos my Japanese is
terrible, but it deals quite happily with my source files with the
occasional Japanese strings in and has also played nice with S-JIS.

(To be honest, filetypes were never my criterion for selecting xemacs.
Mainly I avoid FSFmacs because the keybindings have always been subtly
different between the emacsen - it's much more annoying using a
slightly-wrong emacs than a completely-different vi.  And obviously doing
anything that annoys RMS is a plus ;-)

--
Ian.