Re: [tlug] [tlug-digest] Emacs and utf-8

    David> The comments by Stephen and Stuart about emacs seem to
    David> imply that GNU emacs does not support unicode. But it
    David> does--,

Mule-UCS is good enough for most people who want to use Emacs to write
English and Japanese to save and read files in UTF-8, but it isn't
reliable or comprehensive, it is not extensible to Unicode characters
not supported by Mule, and it is unmaintained (and unmaintainable by
anyone but the author, who has abandoned it as far as I know).

If you wish to call that "support for Unicode", OK, but I don't.

It might be good enough for Stu, but he's not a Debian user, so the
.deb isn't an option.