[tlug] Unicode chars display weird hand-drawn glyphs

On my desktop machine (running Debian unstable), with Firefox and
with every other Gecko-based browser I have tried (Mozilla,
Galeon, Epiphany, Kazehakase) I am seeing incorrect glyphs get
displayed for certain Unicode characters (which happen to be among
the named HTML character entities).

I am seeing the same behavior whether in a KDE session or GNOME
session, and regardless of what language settings I use for the
session.

I'm wondering if others have run into the same problem.

The bad glyphs look like something that somebody drew by hand.
See attached image for a couple of examples. Or (not sure if the
list accepts non-text attachments), look here:

  http://sideshowbarker.net/outgoing/borked_glyphs.png

The examples in that image are:

  - #x2329 (⟨)
    should be a "left-pointing angle bracket", but instead shows a
    glyph that looks like a capital "A" with an apostrophe above it

  - #x232a (⟩)
    should be a "right-pointing angle bracket" but instead shows a
    glyph that looks like a capital "N" with a tilde above it

There are more. Based on testing with the following page in
Firefox (and Mozilla and Galeon), I made a list (attached) of all
the ones that look funked up.

  http://www.robinlionheart.com/stds/html4/entities

But note that if I view that same page in Amaya, the correct,
expected glyphs are displayed. And if I same the page to a file
and open it ino OpenOffice Writer, it shows the correct glyphs for
"left-pointing angle bracket" and "right-pointing angle bracket"
characters.

So, it seems like all the Gecko-based browsers are using the same
font to display those Unicode characters, and it is a font that
somebody (for whatever reason) has monkeyed with.

If nobody else has seen the same problem, does anybody at least
have suggestions on how I can go about troubleshooting it? (For
example, how to figure out what font set those glyphs are coming
from and/or how to get the Gecko browsers to use a different font.)

  --Mike
#x3d1  thetasym
#x3d2  upsih
#x3d6  piv