Re: [tlug] Debian-101

"Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon" <ronfaxon@example.com> writes:

[...]

> 4) Um... and here's why I called this e-mail "Debian-101" - how do I get
> something graphical like KDE

(as root or with sudo or whatever)

  apt-get install x-window-system
  apt-get install kde

I think. If you want GNOME too (or instead), you can do:

  apt-get install gnome

Or maybe at least install the GNOME display manager (gdm). Which
actually, probably requires installing all of the GNOME core.
Anyway, you can use the gdm for logging into KDE sessions as well
as GNOME ones, and IMHO, it has a better UI for logins than KDE
display manager.

> and what in the world is on those 14(!) disks?

Dunno. But anyway, you don't need them if you have a fast Net
connection. You can just install everything from over the Net.

> Basically I need Mozilla, FireFox, & OpenOffice.

  apt-get mozilla mozilla-firefox openoffice.org