Re: [tlug] Newbie buying a computer and installing Linux on it -- screen resolution on PowerBook G4

On 金曜日, 5 6, 2005, at 12:49 AM, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:

Joseph Essertier wrote:

I have only one major problem that i need to fix before i can actually start using the applications in Ubuntu Linux. The screen resolution is not right for my screen. Normally in OS10 it's 1152 X 768. (It's a wide display, 15 inches). In Ubuntu it's something like 640 X 480, and that's the only option i have. So the screen is too big for the display? I don't know what the correct terms are to describe the problem, but one negative effect is that i cannot click on many buttons because they are "below" the display. I cannot see or click on certain things on the left and right sides either.

I had a similar problem when I installed (SuSE) Linux on an NEC laptop. What I did worked, but it was a sloppy way of going about it. Using Knoppix (sp?), I took a digital photo of the screen as it was shutting down - as it listed the resolution(?) of the screen (and other information) before shutting down. I then had a careful look at those numbers on anther computer, and - using YAST (formerly only on SuSE I think? Is it being used by other distros now?) - I manually set the screen size and (very important) the screen refresh rate. As long as you have this information, you can manually set them, but be careful not to make wild guesses about the refresh rate, as you can burn out the monitor that way. In any case, since setting the NEC that way, it's been working fine (except the BIOS thing, which is not related to the OS).

Sorry for the sloppy reply, but that's the best I can do.

Not at all. I'm glad to hear that a solution is out there so that eventually this problem will be fixed. But this solution sounds a little too difficult for me. I downloaded a Linux manual and am beginning to read it.

Thanks.
Joe

Lyle

--
The TLUG server is hosted by Open Source Development Lab Japan.
http://www.osdl.jp/