Re: [tlug] OT. Linguistic ?

> The question is: Are 20,736 words enough for making a "language"?
> maybe I should ask, how many words do we use in the everyday
> conversation? going to a supermarket, talking to friends,etc, nothing
> too fancy.

It occurs to me that a need may exist for people to use the device to
communicate at work.

> orry if it's not clear, my English sucks)
>
> input device 20,736 possible permutations (12(letters) ^ 4(word lenth))
> interpreter
> database
> text2speech engine
> ENGLISH  (maximum 20,736 words)
> JAPANESE (maximum 20,736 words)
>
> is this limitation of 20,736 words a problem?

well I would tenatively think that 20,736 words could be enough if they
were the right words.  Still it would really be impossible to know which
words were needed in which case the web engine for a collaborative
updating of the token/words database may be important.

Say 20,736 words is a hard limit.  From the Zaurus, would I be able to
say download a new and different batch of 20,736 words.  Say one batch
for work and another for sports?  Just an idea of how to work within the
limits.

> For those interested in helping

eeks I am over my head in dealing with a developemental disorder for a
child myself and have a negative amount of time but...

have contributed to http://jdbforms.sourceforge.net/ in the past and
perphaps may be able to set it up.  Your probably a php-er though and so
maybe a java solution isn't what you had in mind.

I also know some Japanese people who could use such a device and perhaps
some who teach IT and may be able to contribute in some way.  Let me
look into it.