Re: [tlug] A semi-related question

No.  Not in all cases.

Their compilers, and standard libraries that are required by ANSI/OSI
standards, as well as a number that are not technically required but make
things much easier to use, are not affected by this.  They are a special
case scenerio.  This is covered actually on the GCC and some of the GNU
web sites. :-)

You may compile Non-GNU software using the GNU compiler.