Re: [tlug] Seagate Sudden Death....

--- "Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon" <ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:
> ... I am never buying a Seagate drive again!

Over the years, I have bought lots of disks, from many manufacturers.
And they have all failed sooner or later. Manufacturers go through
good and bad phases, but for a given price range, I have not found
much consistent difference.

Having disks fail has made me paranoid enough that I actually do
backups and use RAID for things that matter. So now I don't care
that much when they die. It is just an opportunity to
buy a new disk that is twice as big as the last one :-)

A "high quality" disk is one that has refused to die before it
filled up and was replaced with a bigger one. On the occasions
when I have taken one of these disks out of the drawer to use
on a small project, it will perversely choose to die just after
I have gotten a complete system up and running on it and
configured the way I would like. So you can't win :-)