[tlug] Re: Audio CD Issues

Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:

> "All CD-R's written in Track At Once mode end in two unreadable run-out
> sectors. If the disk has been written with a Yamaha CD-R100 or with a
> Yamaha CD-R102, there are even more run-out sectors.  For this reason,
> you will not be able to read such a CD correctly with 'dd'"

Yes, it is better to write Audio CDs in Session At Once or Disk At
Once mode, because there will be no gaps in Sao/Dao-Modes.

> editing, I learned a bit about video at that time (I'm not up to speed
> with current digital video formats) and it seemed apparent that the
> method of video tape "copy-guard" was simply to damage the video signal
> so that it was just barely within what the corrective circuitry of
> televisions could correct.  Thus, when you copied the tape, the signal
> fell below the threshold of correctable errors and you got a heavily
> damaged signal.  In the case of originally made tapes out of my cameras

AFAIK Macrovision works by confusing the video-signal pre-amplifier
in your VCR.  From what one occasionally reads, very old VCR models are
supposedly not affected, because the 'weakness' to this kind of copy
protection has to be built into the VCR and very old ones predate
this kind of copy-protection technology and were built without the
deliberate weakness.  This pre-amplifier calbriation is done during
the vertical and horizontal retrace.  AFAICS it is probably done for the
chroma circuits during horizontal retrace (Color Reference Burst) and
for the luma circuits during vertical retrace, see
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/0E5DAD8917692B5D86256F3500549509
for some technical information.

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.uguu.de