Re: [tlug] Peeling onions.

> On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 00:47:35 -0000 (GMT), ijw@example.com
> <ijw@example.com> wrote:
>
>> - The HURD, for all its faults, is a great environment for experimenting
>> with user-level APIs and filesystems, because you can effectively
>> replace
>> OS functionality.  It's nice to be able to write a new FS and not crash
>> the system, or experiment with authentication systems.  (Yes, Plan9 is
>> the
>> same in this respect, but bastardising C was a bad idea and the licence
>> is
>> crap.)
>
> Hahaha, I'll be sure to let Ken Thompson know that he bastarized C.
> He'll get a good kick out of that. I think you should try it before
> you make such an assumption.

Try bastardising C?  I have, although for specific purposes rather than to
improve the language.  Like it or not, the best way to improve C is to go
via the standards body, not to set about it on your own.

It's not going to encourage people to play with code on your platform
because their favourite tools (debuggers, compilers - even lint) won't
work.  And I really CBA to write code in a dialect that I'll then have to
change to use elsewhere.

Maybe it's just the way I like my experimentation to go, but I'd
experiment with one thing at a time.  OS or language, not both.

> As for the Lucent Public License, it is an open source license.

Granted.  I thought it had more peculiar terms in than it does, to be
honest.  The whole patent arsiness is annoying but hardly onerous.

--
Ian.