[tlug] Peeling onions.

It seems to me that during the early days Linux used GNU utilities a
way to save time in developing the utilities themselves. Since then,
Linux development has been heavily influenced by GNU.

I wonder what other possibilities are available if GNU was dropped and
we started with new compilers and used different tools/utilities? I
imagine that folks would just make the same tools/utilities that they
have always used without thinking about new ideas.

It seems to me that the GNU way of doing things restricts Linux kernel
development to some extent.

-uva