Re: [tlug] HELP! A possible Linux Rescue CD for my Japanese files!

Hello everyone,

 I am very grateful for the outporuing of ideas.
I should have made myself a little clearer.

I have installed Windows on a new HD and can boot up windows with
"access" to the broken drive. The problem is Windows crashes whenever
it takes a look at the drive because of the sector errors. Botting up
to windows (whether it be a bootcd, a new parititon, a boot disk)
doesn't help much because when a utility starts to look at the disk it
just crashes.

I agree with the suggestion that I should just try and save he data
rather than repair. Reparing might result in some bad things happening
to my file system.

I will try mounting from slax with the charset option and let you know
how it goes.
I was hoping someone could shed light as to WHY SLAX IS THE ONLY LIVE
CD that can read the NTFS file system!?! If I could figure this out I
could perhaps get Knoppix Japanese or Berry (another Japanese live cd)
to read it and save the files.  the other possibility is allowing SLAX
to read japanese filenames, but once again, when it comes to linux I
am clueless as to how to do this...

thanks again, any further suggestions would be great!

(while I was typing this I realized that since Slax doesn't have
Japanese or Japanese fonts installed, I am not sure that mounting with
a charset change will do much good... alas, I will give it a try.)
david

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:58:40 +0900, Patrick Niessen
<tlug.niessen@example.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:54:13 +0900, Raphael Plasson
> <plasson@example.com> wrote:
> > mudrii wrote:
> >
> > > For recovery NTFS first try use Windows Installation Boot CD and go to
> > > console mode and you can fix from console using chkdsk   for more
> > > information try chkdsk /?
> > >

> > I would never rely on a Windows to recover a partition... and moreover,
> > as it seems to be a hardware failure, trying to fix the filesystem is
> > probably a bad idea.
> >
> > Maybe to read the japanese partition, just booting on the Slack Live CD,
> > try to mount your NTFS partition with "iocharset=euc-jp" as an option. I
> > don't know for NTFS actually, but it allowed me to read my Vodaphone
> > SDCard Files, which is formated in vfat with Japanese folder names. And
> > try to laucng your environment with a japanese locale.
> >

> Windows uses unicode as standard encoding as far as I know.
>
> --
> The TLUG server is hosted by Open Source Development Lab Japan.
> http://www.osdl.jp/

Co-ordinator of International Relations
Board of Education, Chunan-cho
Kagawa Prefecture, Japan