Re: [tlug] GPL and Open Source Licences

> If I link to some GPLed code I understand that I have to licence my code
> under the GPL too.

Well that depends on how you define "linked".

I believe you can package it as as a
separate executable and link it via pipes, sockets or command-line
arguments without legally being required to offer the source.

see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation

Also, porting programs to GNU Linux does not mean having to release your
program as GPL

"Most system libraries either use the GNU Lesser GPL, or use the GNU GPL
plus an exception permitting linking the library with anything. These
libraries can be used in non-free programs; but in the case of the
Lesser GPL, it does have some requirements you must follow."

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#PortProgramToGL

Disclaimer:  Not a lawyer...
--
Shawn <javajunkie@example.com>