[tlug] What's with emacs and utf-8?

Hi all, I was trying to redo my little .sig template (with the family
information is Japanese) to save it as utf-8 (because that's the
encoding gmail uses), but when I tried to save it as utf-8 (C-x <RETURN>
f utf-8-unix C-x C-s) it told me:

These default coding systems were tried:
  utf-8-unix iso-latin-1
However, none of them safely encodes the target text.

and it wants to encode it as EUC-JP. What's the story with that? Hasn't
emacs made it into the modern world?

(I'm running GNU emacs 21.3.1.)
--
Stuart Luppescu -=- s-luppescu .at. uchicago.edu
University of Chicago -=- CCSR