[tlug] evolution - input box gone missing

Hello,

When I start evolution like so (well any japanese enabled way really):
LANGUAGE=en_US LC_CTYPE=ja_JP XMODIFIERS=@example.com=kinput2 evolution &

and try to type japanese, there is no input box that you can arrow
through to change the selection on at a time and I have to hit space
twice to choose from the complete list.

I know my japanese users will *HATE* this as they like to type a litte ,
select, type a little more , select and then finally hit return to enter
the text.

Firefox works just fine so it must be something specific to evolution
but...what?

using evolution 1.4.6

Well funny thing I just pasted in the address since it's not in the new
book yet and noticed the whole thing dissappeared.  It's still there
when I don't highlight it but when highlighted is gone.

Umnn, subject line is always fine though.

So the input must be there but is just hidden I would guess. Now what to
do?

--
Shawn <javajunkie@example.com>