Re: [tlug] "First SUSE LINUX with complete Japanese support"

Keith.Wilkinson@example.com wrote:

>www.suse.com/us/company/press/press_releases/archive04/91_jp.html
>The premium package with ATOK and fonts is just under 20,000 yen at
>Plathome

Uh-oh.... I've always bought SuSE in Japan because it was the only
distro that was sold with English manuals.  Oh well... I'm more up to
speed than before, so I guess I'll be okay buying the Japanese manuals.
I wonder how much of the double price (about Y10,000 for the English
version at the same shop when I bought it a few months ago) is program
related, and how much is to pay for the new box and new text in the
manuals.  Probably 95% translations and text localization costs and 5%
code.  The kanji-henkan isn't very good on my Japanese-installed SuSE
(from the English pack), but it works well enough and the Japanese is
system-wide.......

All that said, I'm happy to hear the news, as SuSE will never be
successful in Japan without a Japanese language box - fear of foreign
languages being what it is (talking about myself here too obviously!!).

Lyle