Re: [tlug] 7/10 TLUG Technical Meeting - voice communication questions

--- Shawn <javajunkie@example.com> wrote:

> Anyone know of a way to get pc to phone calls without that piece of
> hardware?  I am beginning to suspect that asterisk would require it
> as well.

Asterisk doesn't require the hardware, but it might require a
G.729 license, which is US$10/port.

The voip-info.org page is a pretty good summary for consumer-oriented
services. There are some up-and-coming service providers
offering call termination in various parts of the world, but
that is really more for peering agreements. As soon as more
clearinghouses come on line, it should be easier to sign up
in one place and be able to call cheaply to various locations.

One option is to get a Vonnage or 8x8 account in the US and use
the phone out here. It is a "local" number in the US.

Most of the calling card companies are using VoIP for their backbone
networking these days. If you don't do that much calling or
call many different places, that is pretty cost effective.

Jake