Re: [tlug] Re: routing question

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 23:00:28 +0900
Botond Botyanszki <tlug@example.com> wrote:

<snippage>
> Now I can ping google and other sites from the terminal, but the
> wicked browser on the Z (internetto Netfront 3.0) wants to connect to
> the internet every time, eventhough it is connected.  Reminds me of
> what the stupid IE does on windoze.
>
> I tried fiddling with the network settings on the Z to set up a static
> connection, but no luck yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Netfront (and qtmail and opera - if you install it) all get their
network status from qtopia, as usb -tcp/ip isn't an option for
networking qtopia (and hence all other network apps) have no way to know
that they are on the net when you plug the usb cable in.

There are 2 workarounds here

1) Tell qtopia that the network is upand it will tell the other apps, do
this by issuing the following from terminal
    qcop QPE/Network "up()"

Note: the quotes around up() are significant and you may have to run
this after netfront has started - there have been mixed results here,
some people can run it before running netfront otheres must always run
netfront before running the qcop command

2) Install dummydev ipk (available from ZSI -
http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/). This sets up a dummy network using
irda, the advantage of this is that when a network app starts it
presents the connection box - so you no longer have to open a terminal.
The disadvantage is that your IR device is now blocked if you want to
beam data across from another device.

If you go with the first option, I recommend installing keyhelper
(http://yakty.s31.xrea.com/linuzau/keyhelper/) and setup a keyboard
shortcut for the network up qcop comand.

Stu