Re: OT[tlug] Job opportunity

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 02:37:17PM +1000, Abe, Rena wrote:

> > Gee, I wonder if it was the same guy?  I don't think he was
> > doing recruiting
> > 8 years ago, but if it was in Tokyo, send me his name
> > off-list and I'll
> > remember if it was him or not :-)
>
> He was working for this recruiting firm in Redmond, WA...;P
>
> You're the first recruiter
> > to ever survive TLUG training to this point, I think ;-)
>
> Wow!  I am very honored.
>

> > We'd be happy to help with that.  One of our members, Scott,
> > has a whole
> > bunch of useful pages for Linux beginners.

My pages are at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/

Another member, Godwin, also has some very clearly written pages.
Godwin, I'm too darn lazy to look it up right now, but Abe san, at least
some of his pages are linked to from my linuxfaq (for beginners) page.

While I'm at it, Jonathan, Josh and myself have several QND guides (for
quick and dirty) located at http://www.qnd-guides.org

> Nice.  I am going to a book store today!  I have a toshoken (book gift
> certificate) for 500 yen.  (It is a part of allowance that I received
> from my husband this week...)  I might be able to utilize this for the
> book.

There is are some excellent guides online as well.  A couple of them are
referenced in the faq I mentioned.

I would like to join the other members of this list who have
complimented you on your attitude.  Yes, sometimes being criticized on a
mailing list can make your stomach hurt--I think (and I believe that
Jonathan and Josh as well as many others agree) that the important thing
is how you react to it.  Rather than getting angry and leaving, you read
the criticism and learned from it.

I think most of us have wound up posting something ill advised, and been
roundly criticized for it.  I once posted a link to a page of mine on
here--Jonathan soundly criticized it.  After a few days of feeling
miffed, I realized that his criticism was accurate--and found that when
I told him that, he was more willing than many to help.

Turnbull sensei [1] is another--I believe he was one of the first who
responded to your post and while he had many criticisms, he also made an
effort to help--you'll find that many here are like that.

[1] Note how I cleverly accede to his wishes by avoiding the use of the
title "Dr." but still show that I consider him learned and show my
respect.

--

Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike: Oh, sod the spell. Your friends are in the factory. I'm
really glad I came here, you know? I've been all wrongheaded
about this. weepin', crawlin', blamin' everybody else. I want
Dru back. I've just gotta be the man I was, The man She loved.
I'm going to do what I should have done in the first place-- I'll
 find here, wherever she is, tie her up, torture her until she
likes me again.