Re: [tlug] Browser blues (acroread)

Josh Glover <tlug@example.com> wrote:
>> Quoth Jim Breen (Mon 2004-06-07 03:41:29PM +1000):
>> > The problem is that about 80% when in helper mode Acrobat Reader launches
>> > so that it is hard up against the top of the screen instead of inside the
>> > browser window. The other 20% it launches in the correct place. (This is
>> > Moz 1.4a.)
>> >=20
>> > Does anyone know why this is happening, and how I can tell it to behave?
>>
>> The easiest thing to try is just upgrading both Mozilla and Acroread (if
>> possible).

Apart from the problem I described everthing else is OK, so the
ain't-broke-don't-fix principle starts to weigh in.

>> However, I can say that in my experience with the Acroread plugin, it
>> rarely behaves the way it is supposed to. You might try gpdf or xpdf--
>> one or both might have a browser plugin.

One of the reasons I set acroread up with the CJK fonts was that xpdf
fell over on Japanese pdfs. Maybe it's fixed now...

David Santinoli <u235@example.com> wrote:

>> I'm using Plugger, which is quite multimedia-oriented but does a good
>> job with Acroread (and possibly gv/xpdf) too:
>>
>>   <http://fredrik.hubbe.net/plugger.html>

<bell_rings/>

Ah. I'm using Plugger too. Forgot that. Hmmmmm.

In the pluggerrc file it has:

text/x-pdf: pdf: PDF file
	repeat swallow(documentShell) fill: acroread -geometry +9000+9000 -xrm '*userFrontEndProgram: FALSE' "$file"

I don't know what the "+9000+9000" offset setting is trying to achieve.

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 9554