Re: [tlug] [OT] Temporary cell phone service in Japan

Stuart Luppescu wrote:

>Sorry this is OT. My family and I will be in Japan this summer and need
>temporary cell phone service. Can anyone recommend a short-term (3
>months) solution? We have GSM service with AT&T wireless here in the US.
>Does anyone know if our phones (Sony Ericsson T616) can be used in
>Japan?

One of the major cell phone companies here has been advertising that
their phones can be used overseas (via Vodaphone?) but the ads always
showed Europe and they use a different system from the US I think?
Sorry not to have any solid info.... I am only commenting because if
phones bought in Japan are usable overseas, there must be some sort of
reciprocal agreement, but between which countries I don't know.  Other
than that, I think you can rent cell phones at the airports.....