Re: [tlug] Re: Arialuni.ttf font - don't...

On Saturday 08 May 2004 06:00 pm, Jim Breen wrote:
> jeraldweinstein@example.com wrote:
> >> I traced up the link you provided to installing fonts.
> >>
> >> For one reason or another, the part about "make/update" from the
> >> following snip is not clear to me.
> >>
> >> It follows....
> >>

> >> [start]
> >>
> >> having put the fonts in that place, you need to make/update the
> >> fonts.scale and fonts.dir files. You can do this is follows:
>
> Well, these files tell the X font routines where to find what font with
> what properties. Originally they were created by the "mkfontdir"
> utility, but it only supports the original X fonts: PCF, SNF, BDF.
>
> ttmkfdir is a hack to create the equivalent sort of file for TTFs.
>
> >> ttmkfdir > fonts.dir
> >>
> >> edit the resulting fonts.dir file to make sure the "jisx0208.1990-0" set
> >> of codes are available for the arialuni and cyberbit fonts. You can do
> >> this by duplicating one of the lines (e.g. koi8-ru) and editing it to
> >> say "jisx0208.1990-0" at the end. If you are ever likely to use JIS X
> >> 0212 as well, you may wish to add "jisx0212.1990-0" lines. Once you have
> >> done that, you need to update the number in the first line of the file
> >> to relect the number of font lines present. (For some reason the
> >> ttmkfdir utilit
> >>
> >> y only seems to generate lines for ISO-8859-* and KOI8 character sets.)
>
> [Am I the only one who is peeved by emails where entire paragraphs are one
> llllooonnnggg line?]
>
> The guy who wrote ttmkfdir didn't do Japanese.
>
> Is that any clearer?

Actually, I have since cleared up practically all of this problem.
Because I am a Mandrake 9.2 user and not any other distro-user
yet, I managed to google an excellent go-by for what I needed.
For anyone who might need it, here is the link.

www.math.wisconson.edu/~stefanss/japanese/index_9_2.html

Open office is still buggy.  It freezes in kinput2 mode.  I can paste and
display only the Japanese characters.  If you still are able to comment
on this scenario, any guidance still welcome.

Jerald Weinstein M.S.