[tlug] Re: Arialuni.ttf font - don't...

jeraldweinstein@example.com wrote:

>> I traced up the link you provided to installing fonts.
>>
>> For one reason or another, the part about "make/update" from the following snip is not clear to me.
>>
>> It follows....
>>

>> [start]
>>
>> having put the fonts in that place, you need to make/update the fonts.scale and fonts.dir files. You can do this is follows:

Well, these files tell the X font routines where to find what font with
what properties. Originally they were created by the "mkfontdir"
utility, but it only supports the original X fonts: PCF, SNF, BDF.

ttmkfdir is a hack to create the equivalent sort of file for TTFs.

>> ttmkfdir > fonts.dir

>> edit the resulting fonts.dir file to make sure the "jisx0208.1990-0" set of codes are available for the arialuni and cyberbit fonts. You can do this by duplicating one of the lines (e.g. koi8-ru) and editing it to say "jisx0208.1990-0" at the end. If you are ever likely to use JIS X 0212 as well, you may wish to add "jisx0212.1990-0" lines. Once you have done that, you need to update the number in the first line of the file to relect the number of font lines present. (For some reason the ttmkfdir utilit

>> y only seems to generate lines for ISO-8859-* and KOI8 character sets.)

[Am I the only one who is peeved by emails where entire paragraphs are one
llllooonnnggg line?]

The guy who wrote ttmkfdir didn't do Japanese.

Is that any clearer?

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 9554