Re: [tlug] New Word Perfect Office for Linux is $30

On Monday 26 April 2004 06:57 am, Martin Bähr wrote:

> 3 years?
> word perfect for linux is not new.

And it's been how long since they've done anything significant with it?  How
many years was that? Ah, yes, I thought so :-)

As it turns out, they're apparently still late, since this isn't really new,
just wrapped in new libraries to run the old one on modern linuxen.  And they
want 30 bucks for it.  Wonderful.

> the linux version exists already since several years.
> aparently the linux marked was not taking it then.

They did IMO a really poor job or marketing it at the time, and IIRC it used
neither GTK nor Qt, so it wasn't written to either of the two most popular
toolkits in use on Linux.  They also had bad timing, since not many of the
people using Linux on the desktop at that time really had much need of that
level of word processor, and not many were willing to buy one.  Even with
several free ones out there, most of us just weren't going for it.  Even now,
I don't often use OO.org.  My resume is written with it and I use it for open
MS Office docs, but that's pretty much it.

> $30 for a new installer?

Yup, that's basically :-p

Jonathan
--