[tlug] debian networking

We're moving over from Redhat to Debian and have hit a slight problem
with networking.

/etc/network/interfaces looks like this:
# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address [global]
network xxx
netmask xxx
broadcast xxx
gateway xxx
hwaddress ether [MAC address 1]

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address [local]
network xxx
netmask xxx
broadcast xxx
# gateway xxx
hwaddress ether [MAC address 2]

The problem is connecting to the global interface from the LAN.  If eth0
_only_ is up then I can ping the global interface from the LAN.
However, if I then ifup eth1 I am no longer able to ping the global
interface from the LAN.

Any ideas which manual I should be reading would be gratefully received.