Re: [tlug] Option City...

Quoth Ben Konrath (Sat 2004-04-17 09:47:32AM -0400):

> On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 04:48, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
>
> > I did a few searches within YAST, and came up with a large number of
> > interesting options (as reproduced at the bottom of this message).  Do
> > any members of this group often work with photo-management software and
> > thus have some suggestions about which of the many-many-many options
> > available are effective and solid programs?  Any info greatly appreciated!
>
> I guess it depends on what you want to do. I use gphoto2 (command line)
> with my digital camera because I haven't found a gui tool that works
> well. Truthfully, I haven't looked too hard for a gui tool because I
> find that the gphoto2 is really simple to use and seems to work for me.

I have found that most cameras format their flash memory using the FAT file
system, so I stick a line like this in my /etc/fstab:

/dev/sda1               /mnt/camera     vfat    noauto,rw,user  0 0

And make sure I have compiled the following kernel modules:

vfat
fat
usb-storage
sd_mod
scsi_mod
uhci
usbcore

Then, I can just attach my camera via USB, turn it on and issue:

mount /mnt/camera

And I can now deal with the JPGs on the flash memory just like any other
files on any other file system.

And verily, this is the Unix Way.

--
Josh Glover

GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B  07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103