RE: [tlug] ResiserFS + sudden poweroff = problem

> Fair enough.  But is not the point of the journaling filesystem that it can
> cope with this kind of situation without breaking?
	Not really journalling is there to fix breaks back to a normal state
not to keep them from getting broken in the first place.
>   Davids solution seems to
> prevent the problem from reoccuring as /usr/local will probably never be
> written to in normal operation.
really I firmly believe that only /bin /sbin /etc and a few others
should be under root and that all others should be subpartitioned /home
/var and all the other items this has worked very well for me over the
last few years (I dont use UPSs and my wife is always tripping the
breakers in mid summer and mid winter with AC and heaters)
Works pretty good in the companies I set up (but with UPS and other
items I have had my best testing done to me at home.

> >     patrick> Any way to ensure a clean restart without manual
> >     patrick> intervention?
> >
> > No.  There never is when you have a system with a single
> > point of failure.  Some things aren't worth doing; this is
> > one of them.
Yes sorry to say but sometimes no matter what you do a person will have
to fix to restart a system

> Seems David suggested a way ...
to minimize the risk only.

--
David Blomberg
AIS, APS, ASE, CCNA, LCP, LCA, Linux+, LPI I, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, RHCE, Server+