Re: [tlug] video installation trouble

>> While installing package ivtv-kmdl-2.4.20-30.9-0.1.9-25.rh9.at:
>>
>> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
>> /lib/modules/2.4.20-30.9/updates/drivers/media/video/ivtv-fb.o

>> I am just using a standard kernel though.
> That's the problem. I think you should compile the kmdl module with the
> kernel, otherwise install the default kernel that comes with the kmdl
> package.

You think absolutely correctly.

> it list as a dependency the ivtv-smp-kmdl package.  .. why wouldn't
> synaptic have tried to install that with the other packages when ivtv
> went in in the first place.

According to the packager (Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net)

"If you only install ivtv, then apt/synaptic have a choice of quite a
lot of kernel modules to satisfy the dependencies and they pick one at
random. Some argue that it would have been nicer, if they could choose
by looking at the hardware of the box or the running kernel."

I did not know that.  I would agree it (automatic detection would be nice
-- I wonder how yum handles this) since it tried again to use the smp
package but then I think gave up or discovered that the dependency was
filled since the smp version is not installed though it said it would be.

Thanks.
--
Shawn

Happily using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/