Re: [tlug] Top Posting

Quoth Botond Botyanszki (Fri 2004-03-12 05:56:47AM +0000):

> AFAIK this list is about helping each other out fixing things or getting
> problems solved. Note that this should be done in both ways!
> TLUG IS NOT A SUPPORT CENTER. There are thousands of newbie lists for any
> specific distro. We never said newbies are not welcome, only those who
> "just don't get it".

I agree. TLUG welcomes newbies, but only those who have a desire to
remedy their newbie status. This list is certainly not a very good support
centre for those who want HELP NOW!!!! I CANNOT SEE JPNS!!! THANK U!

> I would be glad to see a moderator who would be even banning people. The
> quality of this list has been declining ever since, with nonsense posts
> such as a kanji one-liner recently that wasn't necessary at all.

I know. The sad part is that the decline in quality is Net-wide, and TLUG
is no exception. We moderators are doing what we can, but it is also up
to list members to preserve quality by ignoring threads that don't make
the cut. Even the most annoying fly buzzes off after asking for help a
few times and not getting any (case in point: the re-emergence of Roy Lo,
and his subsequent disappearance).

WRT the kanji one-liner, the whole thread depressed me. I don't want TLUG
to be that sort of forum. I thought about telling those involved to take
it private, as I thought the thread should have ended with Steve telling
the OP to find himself a geek to get things working. However, the fact
that the thread persisted means that there are some on this list who don't
mind pouring their time into helping someone who clearly needed to invest
some time into learning some Unix basics. So I did not step in. Did I make
the wrong decision? Maybe. But I cannot dictate that all content on the
list be quality, that is up to the members to produce and demand it.

Anyway, B0ti, I know I am preaching to the choir with you, as you are one
of the most valued contributors to this forum.

*sigh*

--
Josh Glover

GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B  07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103