RE: [tlug] B2B e-mail solicitation response

I think in order to qualify for SPAM (capitalised on purpose), you need also
apply another criteria besides content: untargeted mass mailing.  It looks
to me that the company who sent the mail is a very small outfit (perhaps
even only one bloke), trying to genuinely doing business with us (he knew
that we are a small branch of a European company who may need some kind of
IT support), so I guess he got our details from the register of the Chamber
of Commerce, then checked the details of our website to find e-mail
addresses.  So we are not talking our average evil spammer here, merely an
ignorant perhaps computer illiterate (what does it say for his IT business
though?).  He also did not forge any headers or resorted to other fraudulent
practices.

What only pissed me off is that he not only sent it to our general addresss:
solutions@  but also to internship-tech@  which is reserved for applications
from students as the name clearly indicates.

> > How would you respond to the sender?
>
> By dumping its IP range in the DNSBL having informed the ISP
> from whence came the mail and on which the spamvertized
> website is being hosted (altho' the chances are that it's on
> Chinanet, MCI/WorldScum or VSNL, so good luck...).

A bit harsh innit?  So instead of police warning a burglar to "freeze" and
drop his weapons, they should just shoot him?  How long would the community
continue to support a tough policy on crime if the reality looks like that.
Its important that you first determine that there is a real, serious and
repeated abuse of the mail system, and I understand that the appropriate
procedure is : 1. warn, 2. If repeated abuse complain to provider, 3.
Provider may escalate if not and abuse continues report to lists, right?

> > In the past I used something like this:
> >
> > >Dear Mr. XXX,
> >
> > [snip confirmation of a live e-mail address]
>
> Well done. You've just opted in to receiving yet more spam.

Rubbish! There was a real person behind this mail not an automatic fraud
spam registration.  I am not talking about personal spam, but about unwanted
real business solicitations, made in an inappropriate manner.

Patrick

Attached offending mail: