Re: [tlug] Who do you recommend for Business Desktop?

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 05:13:39 -0800, Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com>
wrote:

> > Furthermore, suppose the graphics chip goes
> >south...
>
> That'll happen right after pigs fly, right? :-)  Seriously, I've never
> seen that happen.  Ever.

I wish I had your confidence! :)

> >that there's no option to deactivate the on-board stuff and plug an AGP
> >card in.
>
> Actually, you can.  Just because you have onboard sound/video doesn't
> mean you have to use it.

I *have* seen mobos where the onboard video could be deactivated, but there
was *no* AGP slot. Your only option was to downgrade to a PCI card.

And before you ask, no, I don't remember the brand. All I remember was that
there was an AMD CPU on it.

> However, the main thing with an all-in-one board is that if a component
> fails, the wisest course of action is to just toss the board rather than
> wait for the next thing to fail.

Precisely - which is why I've always advised *against* all-in-one stuff.
Then again, even the hifi here is made up of separate elements with no two
of the same brand (except the CD player and the DCC deck, both Philips).

> Also, all-in-ones generally come with graphics chips of a fairly
> modest spec.  They might not even have a fan.

Even more reasons to avoid them!

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.4.25)