Re: [tlug] Missing kanji [was: japanese encoding question]

> On Wednesday, February 25, 2004, at 12:38  PM, David Oftedal wrote:
>
> I have a question about that.  I recently was told by a Japanese
> coworker that there are some kanji, apparently derived from
> handwriting, which don't appear in the standard fonts/glyphs.
> Unfortunately, I can't given an example, except that it's similar to
> ones in Unicode as well as in SJIS, etc.  A specific example is a
> person's name, and it deviates from the norm (a "variant glyph", I
> suppose).

Maybe one of the Japanese members of the mailing list can confirm this.
There is an offical list of 1945 kanji (Joyo kanji) and an extra 285 or
so kanji that can be used for names (jinmei-yo kanji). The law states
that only these kanji can be used for names. Unless you are handling
historical documents or something like a dictionary there is no need.

Brett

--
Brett Robson
Systems Administrator